Nintendo's Wii Fit

SWEATBANDS SNAPPED tight and short shorts riding high, I took Nintendo's $90 Wii Fit a home workout program disguised as a video game for a test run. I can see why Wii Fit is a hit.


The game lets you choose from 48 activities in four categories: yoga poses, strength training, aerobic exercise, and balance games.


To perform the calisthenics. you stand or lie-on the Wii Balance Board. Its four pressure sensors determine where your feet are, monitor your center of gravity, and check your weight.

Before getting started, I had to build my Wii Fit profile by entering my height, weight, gender, and birthday. A basic body Lest then measured my balance before

the software presented me with a fairly accurate Body Mass Index (BMI) score, my weight in pounds, and a "Wii Fit Age" (more a measurement of my game skills than of my actual fitness level). You can weigh in again anytime you want, set goals to lower or increase your BMI, and arrange for the game's calendar to chart your fitness progress.

As you spend time exercising, you earn Fit Credits that unlock activities one by one. Each workout takes roughly 1 to 5 minutes. Unfortunately, each Wii Fit player Must unlock each workout solo. I was frustrated at the lack of a two player mode and at not being able to create a custom workout; that means you have to complete the activities back to back.

Clearly Wii Fit isn't a replacement for a gym membership. But if you want a fun, family-friendly workout option, Wii Fit is definitely fit for the task.

Wii Fit Nintendo Makes working out in front of your TV interactive and fun. List: $90